January 20, 2013

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

~Frederick Douglass

Dear Johnny,

This weekend we went to a friend's birthday party, and when I saw you among the many other baby guests, I realized for the first time in my life, that you are truly an exceptional little guy.  You see, Johnny, I am not the kind of Mom who meets up with other Mommies in Mommy groups to discuss their babies, mainly because I do not like to compare you to anyone else.  We might live in a social bubble, but I think this is actually doing you a favor.  It turns out that you are not just ahead of most other baby boys your age.  You are making them look...undeveloped and rather stupid.  I hate to say this, but it also makes them look very, very unattractive.  You are at least 4 inches taller than them, you almost walk while they are still struggling to crawl, you babble and you are interested in the world while they are just sitting there, uncomprehending.  I don't know why is that, Johnny - I simply gave birth to you and I give you all of the love I am capable of since - and I have no idea how we lucked out with such an advanced, sweet, and good looking baby.  I can only take credit for a fraction of it...and I am grateful for the rest.  I don't want to compare you to other babies, I don't want to be too proud, I don't want to have unhealthily high expectations.  I just want to enjoy the wonderful companionship you give us, Johnny, and to keep supporting you on your way up.  You are the best, because you are you.  And that's enough for me.






No comments:

Post a Comment